Wondering is it ok to give dogs younger than 12 months CBD oil? In this article we discuss if it's ok to give your puppy CBD oil. As responsible dog owners, we want to research the best ways to care for our dogs. This means looking at alternative methods of helping with things that can plague our pets, like upset tummies. The problem many responsible dog owners face when considering alternative, natural methods for alleviating discomfort is how m
Can Dogs Have CBD Gummy
Table of Contents
Can You Give a Puppy CBD?
Yes, a puppy can have CBD oil, and do not worry, it will not make your puppy “high.” Pet CBD oils are THC-free and do not have psychoactive properties. Plus, CBD oil has no known toxicity level. This is good news and means your new puppy cannot overdose on pet CBD products.
If you are now wondering how much CBD oil you can give your puppy, the answer is between 1 and 5 mg of CBD per 10 pounds (4.5 kg) of body weight per day. Depending on the reason for using CBD, you can give the full CBD dosage at once or divide it and use it twice per day.
When adding the best CBD oil to your puppy’s health regimen, there are two important considerations:
- Since young pups have sensitive stomachs, the good rule of thumb is to start with small amounts of CBD. This will give your puppy time to adjust to the small dose of the new supplement and prevent stomach upsets.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose. Although CBD is non-toxic to your best friend, higher doses increase the risk of adverse reactions and potential side effects .
However, before using CBD, pet owners must consult with a veterinarian. The use of CBD in pets is not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and vets are not legally allowed (on a federal level) to prescribe such products. Therefore, it is a good idea to find a holistic vet willing to discuss the topic and answer any CBD-related question you may have.
Is CBD Oil Safe for Puppies?
Yes, CBD oil is safe for puppies. Based on preliminary studies, the World Health Organization concludes that “there is no abuse or dependence potential for animals using CBD.” It reports also mention CBD “as generally well-tolerated, with a good safety profile.” On the same note, it states that CBD products can be helpful for a “number of medical conditions from anxiety to nausea.”
Simply put, when it comes to CBD supplements, there is no age limit and cannabinoids are perfectly safe and health-boosting for young puppies, same as they are for adults and senior dogs. The correct dose paired with responsible use of full-spectrum CBD oil results in various health benefits and overall better health.
To take advantage of the therapeutic benefits of CBD, you need to use high-quality CBD oil products. CBD pet products like oils and dog treats are made of the hemp plant and not marijuana. This is because the marijuana plant contains THC (psychotic ingredient people associate with being “high”). In dogs too much THC results in THC toxicity.
On the other hand, hemp is low in THC (less than 0.3%) and loaded with cannabinoids (CBDs) with medicinal properties. The cannabinoids are derived from hemp using the CO2 extraction process for optimal purity and medical benefits. This is a good reason to double-check and ensure you are using a pet-specific product.
What Effects Does CBD Have on a Puppy?
Basically, CBD has the same effect on puppies as it has on adult dogs and it manages pain, inflammation, and stress. It also improves the quality of life in pups with chronic conditions and inherent medical problems. However, as the American Kennel Club accents, the veterinary scientific circles lack formal studies on the effects of CBD. Different sources agree on this matter.
Mark Verdino , MD, senior vice president and chief of veterinary staff at North Shore Animal League America, wonders whether CBD products “actually help with pain, or make them not care? We don’t know, but they seem to be less reactive to low level pain stimuli, for example arthritis and things like that, when they take the product.”
When to Give Your Puppy CBD Oil
Based on formal studies, recent research, and anecdotal evidence from dog owners, CBD oil can help dogs with various health issues, chronic conditions, and behavioral problems. Below are some puppy-specific situations that can benefit from regular CBD supplementation:
- Painful teething. In this scenario, CBD can help with two things, inflammation and pain. Namely, because of its anti-inflammatory features , CBD decreases gum inflammation. CBD is excellent for pain management as it decreases the pain sensation. Alleviating chronic pain will improve the puppy’s mood, support good behavior, and prevent destructive chewing.
- Immunity. Puppies have underdeveloped immune systems. CBD oil boosts immunity by supporting gut health , enhancing the efficacy of the natural killer (NK) immune cells , and featuring anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory properties . This immune-modulating profile gives puppies a healthy start in life.
- Anxiety and hyperactivity. CBD promotes calmness and relaxation , aiding puppies prone to separation anxiety, stress, and hyper behaviors. CBD balances mood and helps with noise-induced stress as well as with stress-related aggressiveness . It also increases the total sleep time and improves sleep which is imperative for a healthy developmental process in growing puppies.
- Allergies. CBD can inhibit histamine release , thus playing an important role in allergy prevention. Described as a therapeutic opportunity and a new possibility in skin health and disease, CBD can help with contact allergies , atopic dermatitis , and food allergies . Allergies are a chronic condition and are common in puppies.
- Epileptic seizures. Clinical studies at the Colorado State University describe CBD as a promising anti-epileptic drug that balances the dog’s nervous system and may reduce the intensity and frequency of the seizures . It can also boost the effects of conventional anti-epileptic drugs.
As you can see, there are plenty of reasons to use CBD oil for puppies. CBD is a possible treatment for various health problems, and the best thing about it is its safety profile.
CBD Dosage for Dogs: What’s the Right Amount?
As responsible dog owners, we want to research the best ways to care for our dogs. This means looking at alternative methods of helping with things that can plague our pets, like upset tummies. The problem many responsible dog owners face when considering alternative, natural methods for alleviating discomfort is how much of these products to give to their dogs.
Many times, there are no general guidelines issued by regulatory agencies to help us determine what amount to give them. That can put dog owners in a precarious situation of wondering how best to provide care.
If you’re considering using CBD oil for your dogs, you may find yourself in this situation. Since the Farm Bill of 2018 was passed, there has been a massive surge of CBD-related products made available for pets.
At VETCBD , we want to help end the confusion and supply our customers with products they can rely on to support their dogs naturally and safely. As such, we aim to provide you with information about CBD and related products so you can make informed decisions about your dog’s healthcare and overall wellness.
If you’re new to the idea of using CBD products for your dog, we’re here to help. CBD can be incredibly beneficial for dogs when administered properly and correctly. As always, it’s important you speak to your veterinary professional before starting CBD.
What Are The Health Benefits of CBD?
Cannabidiol, or “CBD” is a plant-based compound found in the flowers of certain varieties of the cannabis sativa plant. This plant is grown in numerous variations, including those that produce marijuana. The species that CBD is extracted from is commercially grown hemp.
The hemp plant provides a myriad of benefits for your dog and has other components outside of CBD that are important for use. These include other cannabinoids (plant-based compounds), flavonoids , terpenes, and phytonutrients.
In order for your dog to receive the maximum benefit of CBD, your dog’s CBD oil must be in “full-spectrum” form. CBD oil is generally distributed in three different ways: isolate oil, broad-spectrum oil, and full-spectrum oil. The two most popular oils found in pet products are isolate oil and full-spectrum oil. Isolate oil only contains CBD; no other parts of the hemp plant are extracted with this oil. As such, this oil cannot provide maximum benefit to your dog, or give them what is called the “entourage effect.” The entourage effect refers to all parts of the hemp plant working together synergistically in CBD oil to yield the highest return of benefit.
While broad-spectrum oil contains some other plant parts, it does not contain THC, and therefore also cannot produce the entourage effect.
Full-spectrum CBD can be incredibly beneficial for your dog. Here are some of the benefits of supplementing your dog’s health and wellness routine with CBD oil:
- Joint support. CBD oil has soothing properties that can help your dog when experiencing occasional discomfort. Dogs with joint issues may also benefit from continual use of CBD oil and may be able to find supported mobility.
- GI support. CBD oil can help with nausea and some tummy troubles if your dog happened to ingest some bad or spoiled food, have a negative reaction to a new food, or as a result of other treatments.
- Mood support. It can be a difficult situation for both dog and owner when your dog experiences restlessness, especially when apart from you. CBD oil can help your dog maintain a sense of relaxation and calmness.
- Brain support . We want our dogs with us as long as possible, and part of keeping our dogs healthy is keeping their brains functioning properly. Your dog’s endocannabinoid system regulates things like sleep, mood, memory, and appetite. CBD oil interacts with this system and can help to promote normal, healthy brain function.
What Is The Right Dosage Amount for Dogs?
Making sure your dog gets the right amount of CBD oil is crucial to ensuring the oil works and is well tolerated.
While CBD is generally very well tolerated by dogs, it’s always important to speak to your dog’s veterinarian to determine if CBD is a viable option for them and to make sure that it will not interfere with any other medications or courses of treatment they currently have prescribed.
While there is currently no standard guideline for CBD dosage in dogs, a good rule of thumb is .2mg of CBD per pound of body weight. If you have a 20-pound dog, for instance, you would give your dog 4mg of CBD. It can be difficult to determine how much 4mg of CBD is if you are using a tincture. As such, we’ve provided a suggested dosage amount chart below.
Remember, it is always better to start off with half the recommended dosage and adjust the dose as needed. Every dog is different and will respond differently to CBD, therefore every dog will require a different dose based on their size, their body chemistry, and their overall health.
VETCBD’s CBD Hemp Tincture comes in a 1 fl oz bottle containing 125mg CBD or a 2 fl oz bottle containing 250mg CBD. Here are some general dosing guidelines for your dog based on weight.
|4-10 lbs||.5 ml|
|10-25 lbs||1.0 ml|
|25-50 lbs||1.5 ml|
|50-100 lbs||2.0 ml|
|Above 100 lbs||2.5 + ml|
Signs That Your Dog May Benefit From CBD
- Change in behavior. Dogs that have become antisocial, aggressive, or lethargic may be experiencing some kind of environmental-related stress or other issues where they could benefit from CBD oil.
- Mobility/discomfort related issues. Dogs with mobility challenges or dogs that have experienced a recent injury can benefit from the soothing effect of CBD oil.
- Mood/behavioral issues. If your dog chews through the floor every time you leave the house, you may have a dog that is experiencing circumstantial stress. CBD oil works to help lessen their agitated response and help them settle into a sense of calm.
- Nausea . Dogs that have occasional gastric upset may be able to get relief from CBD oil.
What to Expect After You Give Your Dog CBD?
Just as every dog differs in their dosage amount for CBD, their reaction will also vary. Some dogs will respond quickly, while a change in behavior in another dog may take a few weeks. It all depends on your dog’s own body chemistry and overall health.
How Often Can I Give My Dog CBD?
CBD oil can be administered to your dog on a daily basis, with some dogs benefiting from multiple daily doses. You can give your dog additional CBD oil every eight to twelve hours, as needed. While CBD is usually effective within one to two hours of being ingested, some dogs may need more to help receive the right benefits. It’s important to be cognizant of your dog’s behaviors to determine whether additional doses are needed and how frequently your dog may need it. When you are ready to incorporate CBD as part of your dog’s wellness routine, consider exploring what VETCBD has to offer to help your pup thrive.